 Robotics / 17952
Re: NQC "No reply from RCX" Help Please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 05:33:20 GMT

In article <GwE5w8.B9t@lugnet.com>, "Jeff McClain" <jmcclain@spro.net>
wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Sadowski writes:
Ahhh..can someone please help me out here. I'm at my last straw with this
problem.

I'm Using:

Bricxcc 3.3
NQC 2.4 a4
Windows 98
USB Tower from RIS 2.0

This has all worked about a month ago.. I haven't made any hardware changes
to my system recently, or even installed any large applications.

Bricxcc finds the RCX just fine, it can do diagnostic tests, and report on
the RCX, So the Tower is definatly communicating with the RCX, and the
little green light does go on.

NQC is displaying this message in DOS when I try to download a program:

Download Program:error
No reply from RCX

My first guess on this problem is that the firmware is no longer loaded
on the RCX.  Check the LCD display - if it doesn't show 5 digits (e.g.
"00.00 1") then the firmware isn't installed.  If you can locate the
firmware file (typically called something like FIRM0328.LGO), then you
can download it with NQC or BricxCC.  Alternatively, you can use the
Lego software to download the firmware.  Once downloaded, it should stay
in the RCX until you remove the batteries (or they die).

If the firmware is installed, then try this NQC command and let me know
what it outputs:

nqc -Susb -v -raw 120000

Well, I'm having a similar problem, but in my case, NQC and bricxcc just
don't even ever see the brick.  I have firmware installed, and the Lego RIS
2.0 software works and communicates perfectly with the brick (little green
light on the USB tower and everything...can download basic programs, etc).
Problem is, Bricxcc says it can't see the brick and NQC says there was an
error "could not open serial port".  The little green light never goes on in
the tower.

I even set the RCX_PORT environment variable to USB and try the -susb option
in NQC, but it just won't recognize the port.  I am using Windows XP if that
makes any difference (sigh, it certainly has made a difference with the
stupid Vision Commander product from Lego that seems to not support XP and
Lego won't help).

This second problem sounds very different from the first one.  Are you
sure it says "could not open serial port" and not "Could not open serial
port or USB device"?  If the former (no mention of USB), then you are
probably using an old version of NQC that does not support USB.  If the
later, then the error message indicates that NQC is not able to open the
device driver.  The most common cause of this is mistyping the
environment variable or -S option (must be an upper case 'S' for that
option).  When using BricxCC you probably don't need RCX_PORT at all - I
think BricxCC tells NQC what port to use, and that should be configured
as a preference somewhere.

What version of NQC are you using?

As for WinXP, I don't think NQC itself should have any trouble, and if
the RIS software is working, then I'd assume the Lego USB driver is also
ok.

Dave Baum