 Robotics / 1740
    PipeXplorer —Laurentino Martins
   I'm thinking in building a bot for exploring pipes and conduits with my CyberMaster. Here's the idea: It must be small enough to fit inside a pipe and also to be able to make turns without major problems (although turns are not my first priority). (...) (26 years ago, 23-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        RE: PipeXplorer —Carl G. Schaefer, Jr.
     (...) The pipe in effect becomes a wave guide. Interesting physics problem. I would be very interested to see whether this works. Good luck. Carl (26 years ago, 23-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        RE: PipeXplorer —Tim McSweeney
     (...) <snip> (...) Sounds like an interesting project. Are you planning on doing it in 100% lego as a brain exercise or are you willing to cheat to get it going? Will the tracks be sping mounted to push against the sides of the pipe, or will they be (...) (26 years ago, 23-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        RE: PipeXplorer —David Colomer
     It sounds fine! Two simple questions: What the pipes are made of? Some materials can be a problem respect to the radio link. What kind of pipes are you thinking about? I mean, they must have a "big" diameter to allow the bot to move inside. David (...) (26 years ago, 23-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        RE: PipeXplorer —Laurentino Martins
     Well, the project didn't even started yet, but I'm thinking on it seriously. I see some problems in design because I'm a LEGO purist and I'm not sure if I can make it small enough to be of any use. Also, I don't know yet if I can devise a way to (...) (26 years ago, 23-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

         RE: PipeXplorer —David Colomer
      I think it is a really good beginning. Just only consider a few facts. Let's suppose the bot is big enough to "fit" in the chimney (I liked the idea and it is Christmas). The bot is going to use one axis to move along the chimney... and you need (...) (26 years ago, 23-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: PipeXplorer —CyberUser
      In message <4.1.19981223125736....1.90.220>, Laurentino Martins <lmartins@marktest.pt> writes (...) Yes - check out Gantenbrink's robot which was used to explore shafts inside the Giza pyramid. This one cost a lot of money though! It had to travel (...) (26 years ago, 23-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

          Re: PipeXplorer —Daniel McCarty
      (...) I remember seeing the show on Discovery. Didn't it end up getting completely stuck after it triggered a "booby trap" where a chunk of stone fell into a pre-designed notch in the shaft? (...) Transmitting the video would be much better. They (...) (26 years ago, 29-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

         RE: PipeXplorer —Alex Wetmore
     (...) I wouldn't suggest this... if your chimney is used for normal purposes at all (such as fires) then the interior will be covered with soot, ash, etc. This will probably be quite a challenge for your little robot, and I can imagine it coming (...) (26 years ago, 24-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: PipeXplorer —Franz-Michael S. Mellbin
   I have no suggestions for the time being, but I am working on a similar project. If your work progresses I would be very glad to share ideas and experiences with you along the way. F-M. Mellbin This E-mail is sent from my work-station, please reply (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)