 Robotics / 1735
    BASIC like programming alternatives? —John Cutter
   I just discovered that my reliable VB 3.0 won't allow me to program the spirit.ocx. What other BASIC-like programming alternatives are out there? I want to write some reasonably sophisticated programs, but I'm afraid I don't know C... Thanks! -- (...) (26 years ago, 22-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: BASIC like programming alternatives? —Ian Hall-Beyer
     (...) Unfortunately, to write sophisticated programs, you need a sophisticated language. which tosses anything even remotely BASIC-like (and most interpreted languages) right out the window. C is not that hard to learn if you've ever used any kind (...) (26 years ago, 23-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: BASIC like programming alternatives? —stephen p spackman
     (...) I'm not sure what this crack is about - the classical "interpreted" - ie hard to compile - languages (LISP, SETL, APL, SNOBOL, Icon, Smalltalk, Prolog, etc) have been anything but unsophisticated. In general, the more sophisticated the (...) (26 years ago, 24-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: BASIC like programming alternatives? —Peter Pletcher
     You can write sophisticated programs for the RCX in the Tcl language (pronounced "tickle") with the Tcl RCX Bytecode Compiler. Check it out at (URL) I am not sure of what you mean by "BASIC-like", Tcl is an interpreted language with very clean (...) (26 years ago, 23-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        LOGO with Mindstorms —Ralph M. Deal
     Hi, I've just bought Mindstorms to implement a long-standing urge of mine: to acquire a Logo turtle for educational purposes. Seymore Papaert was a long-time proposent of LOGO and directed many thesis on its use in exploring and enhancing the (...) (26 years ago, 31-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: LOGO with Mindstorms —Simon Brooke
     (...) [SNIP] (...) Sorry I didn't pick up this message earlier; I don't read this list every day, because of being busy, and traffic volumes, and... MIT have written BrickLOGO for the RCX; they are in discussion with LEGO inc about whether they can (...) (26 years ago, 7-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: LOGO with Mindstorms —Ralph M. Deal
     Hi, Simon Brooke & LOGO enthuasists: (...) Good to hear - there had to be a link. Do let us know what you hear from Mitchel Resnick. The problem brought up in the thread earlier about the motors in the MindStroms package are just DC motors, not (...) (26 years ago, 7-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: LOGO with Mindstorms —Peter Sumner
     (...) Sound's like a job for the Cybemaster which has Tacho's associated with its two driving motors. (26 years ago, 9-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: LOGO with Mindstorms —Laurentino Martins
   (...) I've built a room mapper using a CyberMaster with quite success. Au contraire of the RCX, the internal tachometers are very precise and I'm still astonished by the similarity of the pattern drawn in the PC screen (in a program of my own) and (...) (26 years ago, 31-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: LOGO with Mindstorms —Ralph M. Deal
   Hi, Laurentino, Thanks for the speedy response. (...) of mine: (...) . . . (...) Goed! I'm not quite sure what CyberMaster IS but it seems to be based on RCX and so accessible to what I have. THe LEGO site has a reference to a Cybermaster site but I (...) (26 years ago, 31-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: LOGO with Mindstorms —John A. Tamplin
   (...) Since your LOGO turtle doesn't need other sensors, you can put two rotation sensors and use an adder/subtractor to drive the two motors. Put the rotation sensors early in the gear chain and with sufficient reduction you can get very precise (...) (26 years ago, 31-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: LOGO with Mindstorms —Jasper Janssen
   (...) Are the exotic sensors (rotation temperature, as described in the RCX program thing) available yet? if so in which sets, or is it just at Dacta? Jasper. (26 years ago, 18-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)