 Robotics / 17318
  RCX Dead??

Hi I dropped my RCX on the floor (about 1m) Now it won't turn back on.anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone know lego's warranty? Thanks...this really sucks (22 years ago, 16-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Dead??

Lego is usually pretty nice about replacing broken lego, far nicer than they are required to be. I dont know what theyll do about a broken RCX though. You should call consumer affairs (i dont know the number) and ask them. (...) (22 years ago, 16-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Dead??

You didn't indicate whether it is an old-style 1.0 RCX (external adapter) or not, so I'll asume it's a batteries-only unit. First of all, do you have any experience with electronics? The first thing I'd be looking at after a mechanical shock would (...) (22 years ago, 17-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Dead??

(...) Definitely. I was having problems with my light sensor (this was before I was using legOS) - the 'test panel' in the Mindstorms software wasn't reading it, and the RCX just showed a boolean 1 on the light sensor port. So I called LEGO, and (...) (22 years ago, 17-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Dead??

(...) Also, there can be contact problems between the tabs and the circuit board. They are not soldered on, they only press against two square contact areas in the corners. If they are a little bent they can loose that contact, which happened to my (...) (22 years ago, 17-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Dead??

i think i shorted my RCX :( i was trying to connect a 9v 300mA adapter ti the battery tabs and the wires must have touched (i'm not sure what happened exactly) and now the thing doesn't switch on! :< i need help please! i'm not that good with (...) (22 years ago, 18-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Dead??

I saw your post on RTLToronto.... You didn't indicate whether you tried to use batteries again afterward. I'm assuming you did. I'm also assuming you hooked the terminals up backward. That could be trouble. The 7805 regulator will protect the (...) (22 years ago, 18-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: RCX Dead??

I applied power to the last capacitor towards the back...and it works!!! Should I connect to this capacitor using a fuse or anything first or is it safe to solder leads directly from this capacitor? thanks -----Original Message----- From: (...) (22 years ago, 18-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Dead??

Hello Matthias, thanks for a very detailed description of your findings inside the RCX. I have just one comment to add ... (...) True, as long as we are talking Alkalines. But how about NiCd accumulators? I think they can deliver much higher current (...) (22 years ago, 20-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Dead??

True. I was only thinking of alkaline. Matthias Jetleb (22 years ago, 22-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics)