 Robotics / 17345
Re: RCX Dead??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 05:06:07 GMT

I saw your post on RTLToronto....

You didn't indicate whether you tried to use batteries again
afterward. I'm assuming you did. I'm also assuming you hooked the
terminals up backward. That could be trouble. The 7805 regulator will
protect the circuitry from over voltages (maximum 45V btw. - but don't
try it, the motor controllers can't take more than 12V). The problem
is that regulators usually don't do much for you if they are reversed
biased. The only thing that comes to mind is a fuse (at least I think
it's a fuse) that sits between the regulator and the positive terminal
of the battery. If the fuse is blown (as it did on my second RCX), it
can be jumpered without too much hastle. Finding a replacement is very
difficult though. I really don't see why they didn't use one of those
mini buss fuses though since there is room for it in the enclosure.
If re-connecting the batteries doesn't work, I can take a look at it
at the Project-X competition on Saturday (assuming I actually get my
software working). Leave me a message if you can make it so I can
bring some diagnostic equipment with me.

Matthias Jetleb