 Robotics / 17113
    Lego Rotation Sensor Internals - and fix —Philippe Hurbain
   Hello fellow Mindstormers, After a few hours lent over my oscilloscope, here is what I learned about Lego rotation sensor : (URL) will find there theory of operation, schematics and a fix to the random count problem at low rotating speed. Enjoy ! (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.announce) !!

        RE: Lego Rotation Sensor Internals - and fix —Ralph Hempel
     Philippe: This is a very good review of what goes on in the sensor. And of course the simple fix is wonderful. I know how much work even one page like this is and I would like to thank you for taking time to post it. (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Lego Rotation Sensor Internals - and fix —Juergen Stuber
     (...) I agree, excellent work! (...) These values seem a bit low when compared to Michael Gasperi's (see his rotation sensor page), perhaps my batteries were exhausted. I noticed that the sensor is quite sensitive to temperature (I even considered (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Lego Rotation Sensor Internals - and fix —Philippe Hurbain
     (...) I just submit my rotation sensor to a hair dryer... and didn't notice variations in levels returned. Philo (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Lego Rotation Sensor Internals - and fix —Jerry Kalpin
     (...) Philo, I hope a LEGO Engineer sits in on this newsgroup and does something useful with your work. There has been a lot of 'traffic' here describing the problem in different ways, but you are the one who finally got to the bottom of it. Great (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Lego Rotation Sensor Internals - and fix —Philippe Hurbain
     (...) It would be nice if the next production run was corrected, that would not even impact device price. But cycle time for this kind of product, with stocks at various distribution levels, is probably quite high... Philo (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Lego Rotation Sensor Internals - and fix —Andy Gombos
     It would be nice if Lego fixed it, as taking apart the sensors is something I would not want to do twice. :( (...) (URL) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Lego Rotation Sensor Internals - and fix —Robert Templeton
     (...) Have you tested it at high rotating speeds to see if there is any adverse effects caused by the additional parallel capacitance? (just curious) Some great work there. I am currently in the same milieu with a rotation sensor that is (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Lego Rotation Sensor Internals - and fix —Philippe Hurbain
     (...) No, I didn't explicitely tested at full speed, but since capacitor is on power supply filtering and not on signal, there is no reason that this has any adverse effect on max rotation speed. Philo (22 years ago, 23-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Lego Rotation Sensor Internals - and fix —Philippe Hurbain
   I have updated my Lego Rotation Sensor page to include informations transmitted by Dick Swan and Dan Walkowski. See (URL) and (URL) (bottom of page) Thanks to you both, Philo www.philohome.com (22 years ago, 16-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics)