 Robotics / 17059
Re: I'm sure this has been done to death
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 02:36:42 GMT

Bryce Vancuren wrote:

I've just recently been introduced to another world known as Lego Robotics.
And i have some quesitons about it.  Where have people found the best places
to pick up accessories for it?  I've been looking around and it looks like
most everyone uses lego Technics as the main building blocks of lego robotics.

Yes - any Lego set will work with Mindstorms - but some are *much* better than others.

The 'Bionicles' for example are just junk...almost useless.  On the other hand,
the StarWars sets are pretty good for robot parts.

Truly the best deal is *another* RIS or RDS set.

You'll probably find that your highest priorities are:

  * At least one more motor.

  * Rotation sensor(s), another touch sensor, maybe another light sensor.

  * Large turntables.

  * Some pneumatics - they are great fun.

  * More of everything else!

What kits are the best to have as far as variety in pieces goes?

I bought *four* RDS sets!  Sometimes you find them *very* cheap (I
got mine for $70 each in really beat-up boxes in my local 'Frys') and
they really do have the best selection and value for money IMHO.

You can also buy Lego parts from their web site (www.lego.com) and http://www.pitsco-legodacta.com - the latter site is *much* better at
selling hard to find parts like chain links, turntables and some of the
really weird sensors - but it's really set up to provide for educators
and it's pretty expensive.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net