 Robotics / 17062
Re: I'm sure this has been done to death
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 04:21:01 GMT

Steve Baker wrote:

The AT-AT was OK (apart from the 'microscout' heap of junk).

Ahh. yes the AT-AT and R2D2. I forgot those. For some reason I
was thinking the UCS TIE fighter and X-Wing. My brain was asleep.

What upset me about those was that a large fraction of the benefit of
them was in the CD-ROM - which being a Linux user, I have no use for.

Yeah the Camera really needs the CDROM and therefore Windows. :(
But the Exploration Mars (which was one of the other expansion packs)
and the third pack (I think there was third one anyway) seemed to be
mostly useful parts. I saw it as Buy a RIS (normally $200) get 3
(more expensive) expansion packs for the price of one of the cheaper
ones($49.) I haven't ordered yet. But If I get a second RIS I think
that's what I'll get.

* Rotation sensor(s), another touch sensor, maybe another light sensor.

       It's pricey, but all of this (I belive) can be found in just
       one of the expansion packs... It also has the remote control :)

Yes - I bought mine from one of the online toy stores when it shut down
in the Great Dot Com Collapse.

Lucky you!

It depends on what you try to use it for.  The Scout is good as:

  * Something to run *small* NQC programs.

  * Something to act as a 'slave' computer to just drive motors
    and read sensors with all the 'intelligence' going on in the
    RCX.

I haven't tried this yet. Most of my 2 brick ideas involve total
separate robots working together. This 'slave' idea is kinda what
I want the Manas for.

Well, at the time, the RIS was $200 and the RDS was going for $70.
If you compare the parts counts for THREE RDS's against ONE RIS,
you can see where I was coming from!  (Think: SIX motors!)

I understand. I was rememering when the RIS's went on sale sometimes
for $100-$140. For me the better computer seems the better deal.

These days though I've been considering the JCX more and more :^)

Yeah - just the cost of the storage system is getting frightening.

Storage? What Storage? Isn't that what the floor is for? ;^)

My son and I are getting into the Lego Train stuff - now *that* gets
serious.

Oooh yeah. I started to get into that this Xmas. That is not cheap.
Plus, just wait till you decide to 'computerize' your train with your
RCX's ... Then you'll need to spend money on both!!! ;^)

Man I really need my stock options to come back up so I can afford
more LEGO!! :^D

-Kyle

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org