 Robotics / 17063
Re: I'm sure this has been done to death
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:01:42 GMT

Best source is other Mindstorms Sets - preferrably heavily discounted.
Older RIS sets have gone in chain stores for as low as $69.  Expansion sets
are available through a range of places online as closeouts at varying
discounts.  CompUSA and BestBuy had great in-store bargains not too long
ago.  My best was Dark Side sets at $4 and change. eToys was great during
their meltdown. Even the Star Wars Droid and DarkSide sets are useful at the
right price.  Toys R Us seems to have an endless supply of Droid sets that
keep reappearing in stores at $29 - forget online, though they still ist
expansion sets at discount.  KB regular prices stink but markdowns can be
worthwhile.  Very hit or miss though.

I personally have found both the Scout and MicroScouts useful in teaching
elem. school classes.  Both are good sources for components though the RDS
supply seems to have pretty much dries up.  Prices seem to be going up now.
I have found that smaller shops are susceptible to offers if stuff has been
on the shelf for too long.  Have some documentation for cheap online prices
as bargaining leverage.  Lego motors going for $10-15 on eBay make those
shelfworn motor sets at $30 look like real albatrosses to a store owner.
Maybe they'll cut a deal.

ZNAPS were the best for motors - full sets for less than $10 on closeout.
Some still resurface in Toys R Us.  EBay tends to have them overpriced.  You
can sometimes get bargains there but you have to know prices.  NOTE:
If something suddenly starts appearing on eBay in quantity - start searching
- somewhere, someplace is dumping them cheap and arbitrage has come into play.

Some of the larger Bionicle sets provide some useful parts but I find older
Technic sets more useful for basic parts - beams, plates, wheels and such.
The large Technic sets can actually be cost-effective if viewed as parts
sources. Incomplete sets shunned by collectors can still be good parts
mines. From this pov, keep an eye on Lego SAH - watch for older set
re-releases and the accessories sets.

Unfortunately, my experience is that most newer "Technic" stuff is of
limited usefulness (and expensive for what you do get).  DACTA sets tend to
be undervalued when they show up on eBay or elsewhere - they can be great
sources of components.  PITSCO has a wide selection of stuff.  Their eLab
sets and machines sets are cool but expensive.  They are a good source for
components when Lego SAH is stocked out or has dropped something.  You can
order a catalog through their web site.

Actually, this is a good time of year to make the rounds of the big chain
stores.  They're putting out everything to sell before inventory.  Even the
abused and incomplete stuff can be worthwhile if priced right.  Just check
obvious open and 'returned' stuff for completeness.  This stuff does show on
eBay but beware. I confess to getting burned on one dealer who seems to
specialize in chain store returns - major components were missing and no
satisfaction.  I have bought regularly from some dealers on eBay - depends
on the price and need.  Individual choice.

Anyway, that's my experience.

Good Hunting.