 Robotics / 17061
Re: I'm sure this has been done to death
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 03:46:01 GMT

Kyle McDonald - Eagle CAD wrote:

the StarWars sets are pretty good for robot parts.

        Which Star wars sets are good? Maybe I'm short on sleep but none
        of them come to mind.

The AT-AT was OK (apart from the 'microscout' heap of junk).

Truly the best deal is *another* RIS or RDS set.

Maybe not the best deal, but some of the expansion packs are pretty
good. Actually if you think you may want another RIS, The lego catalog
has a pretty goo combo pack for $249 that includes 3 (I think) of the
expansion packs.

What upset me about those was that a large fraction of the benefit of
them was in the CD-ROM - which being a Linux user, I have no use for.

        At least! Too bad the ZNAP sets are gone... those were the best
        for motors.

Yes - that was one *sweet* deal!

  * Rotation sensor(s), another touch sensor, maybe another light sensor.

        It's pricey, but all of this (I belive) can be found in just
        one of the expansion packs... It also has the remote control :)

Yes - I bought mine from one of the online toy stores when it shut down
in the Great Dot Com Collapse.

  * Some pneumatics - they are great fun.

        I haven't played with these yet but I plan to. These are best
        with Solenoid valves, but you need to go outside the pure LEGO
        boundary to get those.

Pneumatics are definitely *fun*.  I got a lot of enjoyment from making
a fake steam engine with a regular motor keeping the air tank pressurised
and using a purely mechanical linkage to get it to reciprocate the two
pistons.  Quite the least efficient machine I've built but *wonderful*
to watch in action.

Pneumatics are also great for things like robot arms where you want
power delivered out on a long skinny structure where you cannot afford
the weight of a motor.

I bought *four* RDS sets!  Sometimes you find them *very* cheap (I
got mine for $70 each in really beat-up boxes in my local 'Frys') and
they really do have the best selection and value for money IMHO.

        Yeah the RDS isn't a bad set. but the Scout was a little lame.

It depends on what you try to use it for.  The Scout is good as:

  * Something to run *small* NQC programs.

  * Something to act as a 'slave' computer to just drive motors
    and read sensors with all the 'intelligence' going on in the
    RCX.

  * Something to use with the Lego remote controller.

        I think I would have spent the extra money and gotten more
        RIS's on sale rather than RDS's .. but that's just me :^)

Well, at the time, the RIS was $200 and the RDS was going for $70.
If you compare the parts counts for THREE RDS's against ONE RIS,
you can see where I was coming from!  (Think: SIX motors!)

        I did buy 4 of the space shuttles though :^)

        Man I don't even want to think about how much this hobby has
        cost me so far. Ouch!  :^) ;^) :^)

Yeah - just the cost of the storage system is getting frightening.

My son and I are getting into the Lego Train stuff - now *that* gets
serious.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net