 Robotics / 17055
Re: Using the Differential to drive straight.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:14:35 GMT

Thanks Mike,

I'll be sure to try the adder-subtractor, as well as your new device.

I completed the prototype of the differential drive with a
transmission-lockable axle over the weekend.  Actually, I can't claim credit
for it, I got the idea from Mario's book.  Let me just say it works GREAT!!!
Even makes a cool "CLACK!" sound when the gears grind into place.  If anyone
is interested, I'll try to describe it, or I can e-mail you a picture given
a week or two (to borrow a digital camera and upload the photo).  The design
could be completed using only two motors.  The drive motor on one wheel, a
ratchet on the other wheel (so you can turn by driving the motor backwards),
and a motor to operate the transmission switch.

I learned something that might have caused the other "driving straight"
designs in Mario's book not work so well.  The wife likes nice, shiny, waxy
floors.  I had a skidding problem.  I might go back and build the other
models and test them on a surface with more friction.

Rich