 Robotics / 16984
Re: Using the Differential to drive straight.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:54:52 GMT

I tried both of the drive trains in the Ferrari's book and still had
problems getting the robot to to travel a straight line.  The design they
suggest was a huge improvement over a non-feedback direct differential
drive, still I need precision for a contest I'm working with.

I think I understand what David has done, so I might give it a try.  (I'm
also envious of your HiTechnicStuff compass sensor.  I've been saving up for
one. So it's really great?)

I've been thinking of trying sort of a one-speed transmission arrangement,
such that the transmission, when engaged, locks the axle between the two
drive motors.  When disengaged, the drive motors can rotate independently.
Has anyone tried this and what results did you get?

Rich

In lugnet.robotics, Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> writes:
David Chen writes:
I've been playing with the following design to try to overcome the
problems with getting the robot to drive straight while using an A B
Differential drive train (ie left side wheels driven by motor A, right
side by motor B) and to get consistent turning.

This is described in Mario and Giulio Ferrari's excellent "Building
Robots with Lego Mindstorms".