 Robotics / 16975
  Using the Differential to drive straight.

I've been playing with the following design to try to overcome the problems with getting the robot to drive straight while using an A B Differential drive train (ie left side wheels driven by motor A, right side by motor B) and to get consistent (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using the Differential to drive straight.

David Chen writes: > I've been playing with the following design to try to overcome the > problems with getting the robot to drive straight while using an A B > Differential drive train (ie left side wheels driven by motor A, right > side by motor (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

I don't have this book yet. Can it be done with parts ONLY from the RIS set? --Jack Gregory Russell Nelson <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message news:15423.9463.8629...nwr.com... (...) people (...) following (...) them (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using the Differential to drive straight.

I don't have the book either. Did Mario and Giulio seem to think this selectable torque locking helped in helping a robot travel straighter or turn more consistently? I had initially intended this to be a sort of transmission to give the option of (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using the Differential to drive straight.

I tried both of the drive trains in the Ferrari's book and still had problems getting the robot to to travel a straight line. The design they suggest was a huge improvement over a non-feedback direct differential drive, still I need precision for a (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using the Differential to drive straight.

(...) I suspect there are two different issues being discussed here. One is to be able to go straight in some known direction. The other is be able to go straight. If you have a direction to go in, because you have a light beacon or a compass or a (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using the Differential to drive straight.

<snip> (...) </snip> well, you could try the adder/subtractor (shameless plug here (URL) > or i think that i have another idea but i have to build it before i can CAD it so give me a week or so. mike (22 years ago, 14-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using the Differential to drive straight.

(...) Actuially the solution that we describe in our book is similar but not identical to Dave's one. Starting from the well known setup in which a differential gear is used to measure the difference in speed between the main wheels of a (...) (22 years ago, 14-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using the Differential to drive straight.

(...) My implementation did something similar but used the 3rd motor in the OFF (ie. high resitance to turning) setting during turns to make sure that both the A and B side wheels turned the same amount. This helps to make sure that the skid/steer (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using the Differential to drive straight.

Thanks Mike, I'll be sure to try the adder-subtractor, as well as your new device. I completed the prototype of the differential drive with a transmission-lockable axle over the weekend. Actually, I can't claim credit for it, I got the idea from (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics)