 Robotics / 1638
Re: flexible tubbing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 18:35:49 GMT

Thanks for the response.  There are some good ideas here.  I think that I
will start by looking for some thin wall surgical tubing, and looking into
gum rubber and silicon tubing.  There is a RC model store on my way home,
and I think I may be able to find some tubing there.

I will post my results of the most flexible found if any one is interested.

To the question of what it is for exactly.  I have a working
Harvester/processor (or single-grip harvester) head (excavator or hoe
attachment) used in Logging.  The head has pneumatics that open and close a
"gripper".  Pneumatics also tilt the gripper to a vertical position.  The
entire head-attachment assembly is connected to a excavator boom by an
universal joint.  The universal joint allows the head to dangle from the
boom.  The flexible tubing is required to allow free dangling of the
processing head.  _That_ explanation has got to be as clear as mud. :\

Thanks
LINC
ldsmith@pfc.forestry.ca

If you are at all interested in how it works in real life read on...

The excavator approaches a tree (standing), tilts the gripper to the
vertical position.  The gripper is opened and then closed around the still
standing tree.  The gripper slides down to the bottom of the still standing
tree and activates a "hot saw" that cuts the tree at the base.  As the tree
falls the gripper is allowed to tilt back to the horizontal position
(pneumatics released, and the universal with absorb any slop). The now
felled tree is pulled through the gripper by wheels with in the processing
head.  As the tree is pulled through, the limbs are knocked off.  The tree
is then pushed back through the gripper, and bucked into smaller pieces
based on length and diameter and taper (all attributes gathered as the tree
made its first trip through the gripper head) to the most cost effective
lengths.  The gripper can also act as a loader and sorter of logs.

My harvester/processor head does everything but have a hot saw that works,
and measure the log dimensions.  It tilts up, opens and closes its gripper,
pulls trees in and pushes them out (two wheeled micromotors), and the entire
assembly rotates 360* off the boom (of a Technic-fig scale excavator).

Anyway with 4 hoses going on to the head from the boom the flex in the
universal is hindered by the spring in the hoses.  In real life the heads
are Far more heavy and the stiffness of the hydraulic hoses are less of a
concern.