 Robotics / 16236
Re: Rokenstorms - A Rokenbok/Mindstorms frankenstein monster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 04:00:19 GMT

"Tilman Sporkert (webMethods)" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
This raises some questions. I've seen those Rokenbok setups in the stores
many times, and find them pretty neat. I never figured out how the • vehicles
are powered. Do they just take AA batteries, or do they use rechargables?

The vehicles normally take 3 AA's, but I've been able to continuously power
the module for hours via a 9V lego battery pack (using 6 AA's) or RCX motor
output without any adverse affects.

also didn't see any power supply in your frankenstein version. How is your
Rokenbok board powered? And how does the RCX interact with all of this?

I'm currently powering my board via a motor output on the RCX.  If you look
at the gallery-photos on my web page, there's a picture showing the board
mounted on top of and power via the RCX.

As for interacting with the RCX, I'm designing a vehicle which will be
driven via a human controlling the rokenbok, with the RCX running a program
monitoring sensors to assist in other tasks (such as controlling a grabber
arm to play soccer).

It's also possible to feed a rokenbok motor output into an RCX sensor input
to signal the RCX via the RF.  Unfortunately, without some added
electronics, the RCX can only detect one direction of the motor , so it's
basically on on/off signal.

Cheers!

-brian