 Robotics / 16222
Re: Rokenstorms - A Rokenbok/Mindstorms frankenstein monster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:37:32 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message

Very nice. I like the (theoretical?) reversability of it as well.

Thanks! I'm glad you noticed the built in reversability in the design.  Yes,
part of the idea of making socket connectors rather than soldering Lego
wires directly to the Rokenbok circuit board was to be able to put the
original Rokenbok vehicle back together.  But, I must admit, after having
played with the Rokenstorms module on a Lego Mindstorms vehicle for a short
time, I don't imagine going back to the original Rokenbok vehicle anytime
soon.  The Lego dimension gives so much more possibility.  In fact, I
actually went out an bought another Rokenbok vehicle and have already hacked
it apart, too.  After showing the Rokenstorms creation at a recent family
gathering, my nephews were showing a lot of interest in playing with it and
started making alterations to my vehicle design. So, I figured I needed
another module for the family.  :-)

Also, a recent discovery: the Rokenbok RC Power Sweeper vehicle actually has
4 (yes 4!) motor outputs rather than the usual 3 in most other Rokenbok
vehicles. The only drawback of using this vehicle is the circuit board is a
bit longer (it's 7 x 16 in lego dimensions), so you don't get the nice match
in size to the RCX brick as you do using the RC Skid Steer vehicle's circuit
board.  But with 4 human controlled motors, combined with the 3 motors and 3
sensors on the RCX, you could make a pretty complicated RC Mindstorms robot.

-brian