 Robotics / 1588
Re: NQC software for Mac? (Robolab back ordered)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:23:45 GMT

In article <367852CA.1EFBB7C2@algroup.co.uk>, Ben Laurie
<ben@algroup.co.uk> writes
Chris Osborn wrote:

On Dec. 16 98, 15:10 PST, "Eric Hodges" <eric.hodges@platinum.com>
wrote:

It's been a long time since I worked with serial hardware, but
isn't there an alternative pair of pins to RTS/CTS?  DTR/DTS or
something like that? If the Mac sets the other pins you might be
able to short them to the RTS/CTS pins.  I know I've done this on
special cables built to connect the 2 types of equipment.

DTR/CD aren't alternatives, they serve an entirely different purpose.

The PC software toggles the CTS signal, which the tower shorts to
RTS, so that it can tell if the tower is connected.

Err, right. And if there's DTR/DCD printed on the wires
This is all getting very misleading - _not_ DCD or DTS or CD.

The pairs are :

RTS/CTS - normal hardware data handshaking. Careful here - I have come
across 9D to 25D convertors where RTS (signal from computer to external)
is not connected, on the assumption that IBM PCs are so fast they never
need this. Often too, modems disable RTS by default (eg Miracom
Courier).  Don't you hate the way the industry assumes there is only
_one_ computer.
Mine (other than the workhorse writing this) is the Sinclair QL.

DTR/DSR - not handshaking as such.  Just simply each end staing 'I am
here' Normally once set, these signals stay constant during session.
Cannot be used as such for handshaking.

XON/XOF - software handshaking (two data characters) , but not in common
use

DCD -  a stand alone signal, and is activated by the modem on Carrier
Detect

it just won't
play. Naughty people messing about with the assigned meanings of the
pins. Whatever next?
Inventing new acronyms like DTS (8-)#

--
           QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) (+44)1442-828255
mailto:tony@firshman.demon.co.uk     http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk