 Robotics / 1572
Re: NQC software for Mac? (Robolab back ordered)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 00:39:38 GMT

Chris Osborn wrote:

On Dec. 16 98, 15:10 PST, "Eric Hodges" <eric.hodges@platinum.com>
wrote:

It's been a long time since I worked with serial hardware, but
isn't there an alternative pair of pins to RTS/CTS?  DTR/DTS or
something like that? If the Mac sets the other pins you might be
able to short them to the RTS/CTS pins.  I know I've done this on
special cables built to connect the 2 types of equipment.

DTR/CD aren't alternatives, they serve an entirely different purpose.

The PC software toggles the CTS signal, which the tower shorts to
RTS, so that it can tell if the tower is connected.

Err, right. And if there's DTR/DCD printed on the wires it just won't
play. Naughty people messing about with the assigned meanings of the
pins. Whatever next?

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 735 0686| Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 735 0689|http://www.apache.org/