 Robotics / 1565
  Re: NQC software for Mac? (Robolab back ordered)

There are USB to Serial port adapters. Don't know if they work with a MAC or IMAC, but they are real. John A. Donaldson (...) (25 years ago, 16-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: NQC software for Mac? (Robolab back ordered)

It's been a long time since I worked with serial hardware, but isn't there an alternative pair of pins to RTS/CTS? DTR/DTS or something like that? If the Mac sets the other pins you might be able to short them to the RTS/CTS pins. I know I've done (...) (25 years ago, 16-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NQC software for Mac? (Robolab back ordered)

(...) DTR/CD aren't alternatives, they serve an entirely different purpose. The PC software toggles the CTS signal, which the tower shorts to RTS, so that it can tell if the tower is connected. Since the Mac serial port doesn't have those pins, (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NQC software for Mac? (Robolab back ordered)

I seem to remember seeing an add-in board which would add PC style serial ports to Macs. Now this was several years ago; it was for the NuBus; and it was rather expensive. I believe it was done so you could interface lab equipment to Macs. It may (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NQC software for Mac? (Robolab back ordered)

(...) Err, right. And if there's DTR/DCD printed on the wires it just won't play. Naughty people messing about with the assigned meanings of the pins. Whatever next? Cheers, Ben. (25 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NQC software for Mac? (Robolab back ordered)

Chris, If it is just having RTS=CTS, a software solution may be possible. E.g.: patch the SPIRIT.OCX so that it always returns RTS=CTS, patch the Mindstorm so that it doesn't care if the tower is connected, or patch windows or DOS so that RTS=CTS. (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NQC software for Mac? (Robolab back ordered)

(...) Exactly! Someone would have to disassemble spirit.ocx or the Windows serial port driver to figure out how to do this. (It makes much more sense to work on spirit.ocx, because various versions of Windows will have different drivers.) Bob Stern (25 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NQC software for Mac? (Robolab back ordered)

In article <367852CA.1EFBB7C2@a...up.co.uk>, Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk> writes (...) This is all getting very misleading - _not_ DCD or DTS or CD. The pairs are : RTS/CTS - normal hardware data handshaking. Careful here - I have come across 9D (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NQC software for Mac? (Robolab back ordered)

(...) Don't be so negative. All you need to do is hack the emujlator so that continuously reports those two pins shorted. Jasper (25 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)