 Robotics / 15393
  Re: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?

(...) My understanding of the IR tower issue that is being discussed here is that simply plugging the IR tower into a serial port on a machine running W2K is causing the LED to turn on and stay on continuously so long as the PC is operating. I may (...) (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?

(...) No, just plug the IR tower into a serial port of a PC running Win2K with nothing but the desktop showing. The green LED comes on, but I'm not sure if the IR led is energizer or not... Cheers, Ralph (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?

(...) Use a video camera to see if any IR is being produced, then you will know that it is damaging the LED's or not. How exactly are they damnaged anyway? They are supposed to last practically forever, right? Andy -- See my Visual Interface for (...) (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?

(...) I don't have any first hand exprience with this, although a few people have reported that when using NQC on Win2K the IR tower's green LED stays on. I went over the NQC serial code very thoroughly, and I'm confident NQC is closing the serial (...) (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?

(...) Maybe Lego are deliberately overdriving them in an attempt to get more range - in the sure and certain knowledge that they won't be left turned on for long enough to damage them? (Erm - well - theoretically that is). (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?

(...) <NERD-SPEAK> Because some people are seeing this and others not, the problem is might be some sort serial port configuration issue involving handshake lines. Which RS232 signal causes the LED to come on (if any)? What type of serial set-up (...) (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?

(...) My W2K setup (which does NOT cause the IR tower LED to be continuously driven) has flow control set to none. My PC at work is a Dell Dimension XPS T600r. My PC at home is a e-Machines Celeron 600. Neither machine continuously drives the LED (...) (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?

I've experienced this problem both using nqc and the java serial comm classes. Both are using the microsoft serial port driver, I assume. FWIW, the machine is a Dell Dimension Laptop running Win2k. I am not certain under what circumstances the LED (...) (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?

(...) My settings (which DOES cause theIR tower LED to be driven: Dell Dimension bps: 9600 data bits: 8 Parity: none Stop bits: 1 Flow ctl: none (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?

(...) On my laptop, the green light on the tower comes on as soon as I plug it in. When I run CRT 3.3 (great terminal emulator) the light goes OFF unless I'm actually transmitting! In setting up CRT, it doesn't matter what kind of flow control I'm (...) (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?

According to the schematics of John Barnes (Serial IR tower), the only way to light the green LED is to sent data or more precise, to hold the TXD line in high state. I've just tested my IR tower (with a general comm driver, which is able to control (...) (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?

(...) light the green LED is to sent data or more precise, to hold the TXD line in high state. (...) control every individual control line) and that's correct, no control lines are able to light the green LED and thus powering the IR-leds. (...) (...) (23 years ago, 9-May-01, to lugnet.robotics)