 Robotics / 15273
Re: Distance sensor for RCX based on Sharp GP2D12
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:27:45 GMT

A microcontroller based solution such as Andreas one (http://www.inchlab.com
)would perhaps be more suitable for your application.

A thing that would be helpful for this kind of heavy configuration would be
an "IO-processor" consisting of a microcontroller linked to RCX through IR
messages. This would provide a lot of "virtual sensors"...

To stay in a non-programmable world, you can perhaps implement a counter
(4017) that switches between sensors at each toggle of active/passive sensor
mode - and use a battery pack for this power hog !
Michael Gasperi mux is more or less based on this configuration.

Philo

http://www.philohome.com
GP2D12 page : http://www.philohome.com/sensors/gp2d12.htm

In lugnet.robotics, Steven Nickle writes:
Philippe,

Nice work.  I ordered a few parts and am going to try it out.

Now if I could figure out how to multiplex 4 sensors to a single input an be
able to monitor them individually.

The goal is crossing sensors on the front and rear to give true coverage.
An external battery pack is ok.