 Robotics / 15272
Re: Distance sensor for RCX based on Sharp GP2D12
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:24:06 GMT

Hi Steven,

no problem !

The circuit shown on our website (depending on the work of Michael Gasperi) is
easy extendable with a fourth (and more) sharp GP2D12.
Have a look at :
http://www.informatik.fh-hamburg.de/~lego/Projekte/projekte_englisch.html

All you need is to build a fourth little amplifier-ciruit (the fourth OpAmp
allready exists in LM324), a fourth bilateral switch (part of 4066) and use
output No. 4 from the counter (4017) to the fourth bilateral switch. Then use
output No.5 for reset.

-> parts you need :
1 4066 (4 bilateral switches)
1 Pot 10 kOhm
2 resistor 10 kOhm

For selecting e.g. 3rd sharp turn input in passiv mode and again in active
mode, till you reach the starting point (value larger than 80 , fixed).
Then switch in passiv and back in active mode three times and you reach the 3rd
sharp, as long as you don't switch back in passiv mode.

Notice, that this circuit only works with these sharps (or other sensors, that
need 5V supply-voltage). It won't work with lego active sensors, because of the
supply voltage.

(It should be possible to use lego sensors, but then you have to use the supply
coming from RCX -> red (+) and blue (-) wires between the two circuits on our
website)

Rainer

In lugnet.robotics, Steven Nickle writes:
Philippe,

Nice work.  I ordered a few parts and am going to try it out.

Now if I could figure out how to multiplex 4 sensors to a single input an be
able to monitor them individually.

The goal is crossing sensors on the front and rear to give true coverage.
An external battery pack is ok.