 Robotics / 15097
Re: Battery Tests
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:04:09 GMT

The Unibots tested a bunch of different batteries in preparation for
the Northern California State FLL tournament last December, without
a doubt the Energizer e2 Lithium batteries (the kind in a blue package)
outperformed all others, lasting through all three competition rounds
and countless test rounds.  Had we used regular batteries (previously we
used Duracell Ultra) we would have had to change batteries before
each round for optimum performance.

We attribute the difference to a couple of factors:
    1.  There's just more power mAh in these batteries than others
    2.  They are noticably lighter than other batteries, on a robot that
         carries its powersupply with it, the reduced loading on the motors
         means reduced draw on the batteries...  According to Energizer,
they
         weigh 2/3 the weight of std. alkaline.

For us, it was well worth the investment!

-Peter

"Ahui Herrera" <jedi_agh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Has anyone done any battery tests to determine which brand of battery last
longer in an RCX?  I have a demo at work early next month that will be an
8-hour show in which people can come up to our booth and play with several
robots we have via the LEGO remote control and push buttons.  I am • wondering
how many batteries I need to purchase and if there is a differnce in the
following:

1) Duracel
2) Engerizer
3) Engerizer Titaium
4) Engerizer Photo Litium

My gut tells me to go with Engerizer Titaium as I have used this brand for
many years now and have been happy with them.  Duracel suscks IMOP.  I • have
never put any batteries in my RCX as I have been lucky to only use the AC
adapter and not worry the battery hogs that I have heard the RCXs are. Any
help would be appreciated.