 Robotics / 14955
Re: More juice out of the standard motors.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 17:43:05 GMT

Mark Haye <mhaye(@)tivoli(.)com> wrote in message
I used to regularly drive LEGO 9V motors at about 12V with no observed
damage.  I assume the increased power/torque would be proportional to the
voltage, i.e. 33% more voltage gets you 33% more power/torque.

33% more voltage should also give you 33% more current, so power (i.e.
voltage times current) should increase by 77%. But higher currents give
higher temperatures, which could damage the motor and would probably make it
less work less efficiently.
http://www.teamdelta.com/roboglad/ says that most of the robots ran the
motors at 18v, and the only problem was a molten battery box due to removing
the "thermally resettable solid-state fuse", so it *should* be alright but I
wouldn't want to try it myself :-)

--
Philip Taylor
philip@zaynar.demon.co.uk