 Robotics / 14635
Re: More juice out of the standard motors.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:34:48 GMT

Gustav Jansson wrote:

I think the best solution is to use NO gears.  Without the additional
friction of the gears and axles through beams, the motors are surprisingly
powerful.  I have had very good experience with direct drive robots.  I
suggest that you experiment with different wheel sizes until you get the
right power to speed that you need.

The original supplicant wanted to use rotation sensors - so I guess direct
drive is out. I guess you can use an axle extender and use the sensor as
a bearing - but you won't get a very precise position reading if you can
only sense position accurate to 1/16th of a wheel rotation.  I generally
want to gear up the rotation sensor so it rotates faster than the wheels.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>