 Robotics / 14628
Re: More juice out of the standard motors.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:12:58 GMT

Eric Sophie wrote:

Tricky , Tricky, here's the dilly, 8 to 24 tooth makes the fastest, but low
output power, try to find the proper combo so your motors don't work to
hard, add a worm gear to hold off the back spin,

In general terms, worm gears are less efficient than standard gears as they
have more inherent friction - essentially, driving a worm gear is like pushing
something up an inclined slope. How much this translates into a lego system I
have no idea, but I feel an experiment or two coming on :-)

then try some more gears to
get the speed you need, it's kind of hard to say since I'm not sure what
your building and there are so many possibilites...

A good general purpose combination I've found is to reduce the output of the
Mindstorms motors by nine (8 to 24 tooth twice), which gives a fair amount of
power at a reasonable speed. My skid steer loader uses two motors at this ratio
and is surprisingly powerful:

   http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/skidsteer.htm

Jennifer Clark