 Robotics / 14798
Re: Ideas for new sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:09:13 GMT

John Barnes wrote:

I have a very basic question, on the subject of new sets and
themes and so on;

If technic "was" a viable medium for kids with latent engineering
skills to learn with, why are those kinds of sets not still available?

If Lego were selling to the same customer base, they would have
to continually renew their offerings, but they're not. They're have a
never ending supply of new customers all the time!

So if "we", the ones who have been lucky enough to have gained
the benefits of some very creative set design in the past, maintain
an interest in the product because of its earlier appeal, who of the
new generation of bionicle builders will be wistfully thinking of how
wonderfully rich and functional those sets had been?

I guess what I'm asking is; why isn't the technic concept of a
highly flexible mechnical building toy still valid?

JB

Basically what you're asking is, "Why has LEGO completely lost their
mind?". I think the "Technic concept" is still valid. I think it's just
being re-marketed under the Mindstorms product line. Who knows what LEGO
was thinking when they came up with Bionicle or Throwbots or any of
those other small worthless Technic sets. It probably just follows
LEGO's juniorization trend, a trend which Mindstorms has been immune to
thus far. There's also the Dacta product line, which IMO is the closest
thing there still is to "real" LEGO. Of course the problem with Dacta
is, it's not available in toy/department stores for your average parent
to buy, and therefore is less likely to have an impact on a child's
perception of LEGO.

--

Regards

Micah J. Mabelitini - LUGNET #918
The University of Kentucky
SECC Middlesboro Academic Skills Resource Center
accutron@kih.net - http://www.users.kih.net/~micahx/