 Robotics / 14800
Re: Ideas for new sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:11:41 GMT

...Who knows what LEGO
was thinking when they came up with Bionicle or Throwbots or any of
those other small worthless Technic sets. It probably just follows
LEGO's juniorization trend, a trend which Mindstorms has been immune to
thus far. There's also the Dacta product line, which IMO is the closest
thing there still is to "real" LEGO. Of course the problem with Dacta
is, it's not available in toy/department stores for your average parent
to buy, and therefore is less likely to have an impact on a child's
perception of LEGO.

Don't forget the selling of Lego Technic to George Lucas!  I agree the Dacta
Catalog is repleat with wonderful kits that are unavailable to the consumer.
The solar kit is one of the most fascinating and would be a wonderful way
for children and adults alike to learn about alternative power sources.

Steven B. Combs
Associate Professor
http://faculty.ivy.tec.in.us/~scombs/robotics/