 Robotics / 14671
Re: RCX & Cybermaster (VLL comms and MicroScout)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 01:55:40 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Marco Correia writes:
Hi Chris,

Do a search for "CM-RCX Comm" thread, in lugnet.robotics :)

That's (still) my main current project.

It works. It's possible to make a CM and a RCX communicate with each other
through "eletric" (or light but I didn't test the input through light, yet)
connection.

I was working on a custom version of the standard LEGO VLL serial comms
protocol. My "SlowVLL" is 9 times slower than standard VLL, but the main
thing is: it works.
I created SlowVLL protocol because the CyberMaster doesn't support
FastTimer(), (RCX2 firmware does), so, for now, it's impossible to do input
on a CyberMaster at a standard VLL data rate (but Standard VLL output to
RCX2/MicroScout/CodePilot is possible).

After doing some tests on "SlowVLL" input, I was going to finish my lib with
both SlowVLL input/output and Standard VLL input(RCX2)/output, *BUT* I
encountered a problem with memory capacity on the CyberMaster :( ...for now,
the current (complete) version of my NQC lib needs more memory than
CyberMAster has to offer.

On top of that, my spare (hobby) time is equal to zero :(

I'll post future info on lugnet.robotics under the "CM-RCX Comm" thread :)

mc.

PS: OH! I just got the #9754 Dark Side Developer Kit set, so now I'll have a
MicroScout to do some Standard VLL tests and calibration of my lib's output
routines :)
By the way, the 4 legged walker WALKS PERFECTLY ! Great LEGO design job.
...now, I'll just have to think a way to make it turn :>