 Robotics / 14670
Re: RCX & Cybermaster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 01:44:07 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gaurav Thakur writes:
In lugnet.technic, Chris Fenter writes:
Has anyone tried (successfully, or not...) to create working models or
systems using both of these items together?

I'm guessing that I could use a mechanical feedback circuit (like 8868
alt. model / 8479) to trigger the RCX from the actions of the
Cybermaster, and vice-versa, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet.
Is there any good way of making them interact electronically? (other
than just linking the same touch sensor to inputs on both to trigger
different actions, say)

Thx,
Chris.

Just as a side question; can anyone tell me what the Cybermaster unit was
like? What did it look like, and what kinds of input/output ports did it
have? What pieces (in general) did the set come with? Thanks...

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@supermail.com

The Cybermaster is a pretty big unit. It's turquoise, and the same width &
depth as an RCX, but about 2/3 longer. I only just bought the Cybermaster
(£50 at amazon.co.uk - bargain!), and I didn't really know what to expect -
Fyi, the Cybermaster is basically a radio control unit, but operated from
your computer, via a unit (called the C2) like the RIS IR tower, but with
two bendy aerials on top! (of both unit and tower) I have the RIS IR in
COM1, the C2 in COM2.

You can either program a series of movements and download them, run in-built
programs or directly control it using a joystick! It has three colour coded
touch sensors of differing resistances, so it can identity them
automatically - handy for RIS too, I would guess. There are 3 standard RIS
style inputs on the unit, and one standard electric output, plus an internal
motor which has a motorised output on each side, I guess like the 4WD
X-track motor base, into which you plug in cross-axles, and which are
independently controllable to, say, skid-steer a machine like a tank/loader.
The joystick control on the 'tank' featured model is cool! -
forward/backward, L/R, plus using the buttons to raise/lower & open/close
the attachments at the front.

It also contains a good range of technic stuff - some beams, plenty of
gears, & many black & turquoise liftarms and angle connectors, as well as
the longest set of tracks I've yet seen, together with some strange
Znap-like 5-sided mountings for them. Also, 4 49.6x28 VR wheels, a clutch
gear, a technic guy plus two unique fold up containers about 3"x9" by 2" deep.

Does that answer your questions?

Chris.