 Robotics / 13263
Re: Firmware file version?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:25:20 GMT

Greg Betzel  <kelleysoft@pressenter.com> wrote:
Is there a way to get the version # out of an RCX firmware file?  Namely,
the files firm0309.lgo or firm0328.lgo.  I'd hate to rely only on the
file's name.

The first line of each file should be unique, and you should be able to use
it to infer the version number.  At least the first line is unique for
firm0309.lgo and firm0325.lgo.  You can actually decode the lines if you
like -- they are header lines in s-record format -- but decoding the lines
should not be necessary, since you can compare them without decoding them.
If you do decode the lines, firm0309 contains the string "LIB_VERSION_L00"
and firm0325 contains the string "firm0325.lgo".  If you want code to
decode s-records, grab the files for firmdl3 from:

   http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcs/tools.html

I do not have a copy of firm0328.lgo handy, so I can't be sure this
technique will work for that file, but my guess is Lego got things right
and put a unique s-record header into that file also.

-Kekoa