 Robotics / 12818
Re: AI, AI & AC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:20:01 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Baker [mailto:sjbaker1@airmail.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 4:49 AM
To: rch8@cornell.edu
Cc: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: AI, AI & AC

All very wonderful I'm sure - but isn't it just a *tad* off-topic?

Com'on doesn't everybody want a robot that has more sense then only
reverse/turn when it hits a wall ...

This has essentially nothing to do with either robotics or Lego.

There is nowhere close to enough computing resources in anything
people are likely to have in a Lego robot to do any kind of AI/AC.
It's challenging to make a Lego robot do even the simplest things
like navigating a room or picking something up...AI is just *so*
far out there.

One of simplest forms of AI is to incorporate moods (AE) that can result
in more human behavior. This can be done by using different layers of
emotional behavior that goes from momentary emotion (top layer), to moods,
to personality (lowest layer)...

In my opinion the RCX only lacks the ability to know the absolute position
of it self. If that could be resolved, the rcx (on its own) would be very
capable of performing some real path-finding. I agree the A* routines couldn
't be that sophisticated, due to the lack of memory, but still... :)

If you want to do AI, you'll need the biggest, meanest Pentium
money can buy with about a Gig of RAM and Prolog.  A weedy little
H8 running NQC really isn't going to cut it!

The problem is that you approach AI at the academic level, try some research
in the game-coding area, they have always made their AI with very limited
resources, cuz they weren't allowed more processor time. :)

Arturo