 Robotics / 12805
RE: AI, AI & AC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:32:21 GMT

Rama Hoetzlein wrote:

Jon Kongsvold wrote:

Everybody today is talking about Artificial Intelligence.  I think • this is
only one of (at least!!!) three different elements our mind is using:

AI: Artificial Intelligence
AI: Artificial Intuition
AC: Artificial Consciousness

All very wonderful I'm sure - but isn't it just a *tad* off-topic?

Not really, else I would have used one of the AI groups :)

This has essentially nothing to do with either robotics or Lego.

Well, if you are trying to make a copy of some simple machinery, like your
toaster with it's timer etc, it hasn't.  But if you want to make your robots
do more than just get stuck in corners and perhaps even develop new
behaviors, it has.

There is nowhere close to enough computing resources in anything
people are likely to have in a Lego robot to do any kind of AI/AC.
It's challenging to make a Lego robot do even the simplest things
like navigating a room or picking something up...AI is just *so*
far out there.

Of course it needs help from a big machine doing the heavy duty
calculations.  That's why you can send and receive messages by IR and let
the PC do the big decisions and the robot just react to immediate dangers
(crashing, falling down etc) and ask the big machine when pondering a more
difficult problem.  The Voyager space probe (now somewhere not far from
Neptune, I think) has no more memory than the little RCX, and probably a lot
slower CPU, as it was built in the mid-70ies.  And still it works 12 years
after launching and has even been reprogrammed after launch, when they found
out it's main antenna failed to work.  This kind of robot would be fun to
build, and then use my PC as "Houston".
I am also trying to make sort of a telegraph between the CyberMaster and the
RCX, hoping to use the CM's radio connect to communicate even if the robot
isn't pointed towards the IR tower.  Any tips on making the green and yellow
box talk, are appreciated.  Should I use light sensors/lamps or a
motor/touch sensor configuration?  The light sensor/lamp idea might be
faster, as the motor will need to use some "Morse signaling" to use a motor
to press the other box' touch sensor and vice versa.

If you want to do AI, you'll need the biggest, meanest Pentium
money can buy with about a Gig of RAM and Prolog.  A weedy little
H8 running NQC really isn't going to cut it!

LISP and C for me, please (Prolog is for pure logic, just one of the three
"modes of mind" I wrote about in my original posting, and I am more a fan of
neural nets than expert systems when placing my bets on how to make a
machine conscious).  And I think I have enough computing power available to
do what I want, even if the little yellow RCX doesn't have it onboard.  If I
just could get those radio messages to the RCX all would be much easier,
pity LEGO didn't make any kind of fast communication between the CM and RCX.

Jon Kongsvold