 Robotics / 12815
Re: AI, AI & AC (OT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:33:10 GMT

I think that everyone who thinks that to have intellegence you must have a
computer communication system. Look at what Bert van Dam did, and only using the
RCX. More complicated, independent robots could be built, but everyone sees the
home computer as a barrier.

Andy

Jon Kongsvold wrote:

Jon Kongsvold wrote:

Everybody today is talking about Artificial Intelligence.  I think • this is
only one of (at least!!!) three different elements our mind is using:

AI: Artificial Intelligence
AI: Artificial Intuition
AC: Artificial Consciousness

Why do all of these begin with the word Artificial? Don't you mean to
say that our mind operates with "intelligence", "intuition" and
"consciousness"? What exactly is the difference between Artificial
Consciousness and "real" Consciousness?

Yes, I think it is important to differentiate between these three "modes of
thought".  I think they are among the more important parts of our mind, and
that it won't be a bad idea to copy nature into our programs and robots.
The reason I think we use the word Artificial in front of them is a
psychological defense. I don't think the human race is ready to accept we
aren't (or rather, won't be forever) the most intelligent/conscious species
on the planet, we are not yet ready to be ruled by our own creations.
As I wrote, I think we already have intelligent and intuitive
programs/robots, though not conscious.  But when we do, I am not sure what
the difference would be or how we could detect it.  If you read Allan
Turing's "Computing machinery and Intelligence" it will show the fuzziness
of this boundary, and propose the famous Turing Test for giving an answer
(which might not be correct) to that question.

It is easy to >say< that a computer uses artificial intelligence, while
a person uses "real" intelligence - but what's the difference?
Put a real insect next to a robotic insect and they could
behave almost identically (the physical motion might be crude, but
the behavior, or "intelligence", could be just as complex)?

Not much difference, if you focus only on the subject the computer has
knowledge about.  In fact, I think I made it clear in my previous posting
that I believe that machines are intelligent.  Even more intelligent than
humans in some situations.  But they are very specialized in their
intelligence and not at all conscious (which is the Holy Grail I am
searching for).

Are there two kinds of intelligence, intuition, and consciousness or
just one?
If there are two kinds of each, what is the difference?

I think intelligence is built on intuition (and memory).  Intelligence (like
adding numbers, playing chess, doing IQ-tests) is nothing more than
intuitive pattern recognition that filters the input from the world to
symbols the brain can use to easier compute answers.  And my best bet on
what consciousness is, is sort of the intuition doing a loop with some
sensory input for each round.  So there is no difference, intelligence is
just a (higher) form of intuition and consciousness is just intuition that
too.  And intuition is basically pattern recognition.

I like to think of artificial intelligence as "natural (and/or human)
intelligence
and behavior expressed in a computer language".

I agree.  So now we just have to make artificial consciousness too, but it
seems nobody knows how to express that in a computer language.

Jon Kongsvold