 Robotics / 1152
Re: LEGO Hexapod Walker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 09:24:58 GMT

In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.981203180652.23795A-
100000@expert.cc.purdue.edu>, Daniel Miller <danielmi@expert.cc.purdue.e
du> writes

1.  I can see how it can walk straight forward and turn in place, but what
happens if you try to make it walk in a circle?  One side would have to
run slower than the other.  What happens to the gait if the sides get out
of sync?

If it had only 6 legs and got out of synch there would be a time when
only one leg each side was touching the floor and it would overbalance.
As it has 8, there are always two legs touching the floor on each side,
so the sides don't have to be in synch.

2.  If you had a fast enough motor and a resilient enough system, could
this be made to skitter?  Or do you need more leg joints for that?  I have
a vision of something like this (non-Lego) on an offroad R/C car chassis,
with R/C car motors and batteries, and a buggy body... heheheh, get it?
Buggy?

:-)

Because of the simple mechanism the locus of each foot is a circle, and
so the body goes up and down with each step; to move the bug quickly and
smoothly you would need to change the motion from a circle to a D shape
(with the flat part facing down).  You would also want the semicircular
part of the locus to be completed in 50% of the cycle time otherwise it
would still bounce up and down.  That would be difficult if not
impossible with a linkage.
--
Regards - Peter Hesketh, Mynyddbach, Mon.
Forty reasons why a dog is better than a woman: number 10