 Robotics / 1070
Re: LEGO Hexapod Walker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 23:14:32 GMT

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Peter Hesketh wrote:

In article <01BE1EB9.D2166A60@oak-hiper1a-123-187.dialup.slip.net>,
Jason Cooper <robotman@slip.net> writes
It is much more complex to get both fwd/bwd, up/down motion on each leg

Not if you are clever.  See the spider on www.xs4all.nl/~sbolt/

This is a cool little beastie, but the slop in Lego gears might do it in
if it were enlarged for our consumption.

Two (possibly stupid) questions:

1.  I can see how it can walk straight forward and turn in place, but what
happens if you try to make it walk in a circle?  One side would have to
run slower than the other.  What happens to the gait if the sides get out
of sync?

2.  If you had a fast enough motor and a resilient enough system, could
this be made to skitter?  Or do you need more leg joints for that?  I have
a vision of something like this (non-Lego) on an offroad R/C car chassis,
with R/C car motors and batteries, and a buggy body... heheheh, get it?
Buggy?

Daniel "Dan'l" Miller                Senior, School of Aeronautics and
danielmi@expert.cc.purdue.edu        Astronautics, Purdue, Indiana
danielmi@cartoon.ecn.purdue.edu