 Robotics / 10258
Re: Rack-and-pinion steering line tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 02:09:54 GMT

Simon Bogaert wrote:
Mind you it wasn't rack & pinion steering.

What was it?

Sorry for the slow response; I've been offline for a bit lately. It was
the steering assembly from 8437, motorized with a belt drive. Basically
there's an offset axle that pushes two tie rods to move the wheels,
which are mounted on ball joints. The touch sensor was positioned by the
axle so that it would be depressed when the wheels were centered.

The turning radius of this arrangement was really poor even after I
shortened the wheelbase as much as I could. The offset in the axle just
isn't big enough to move the wheels very far, and even if it was the
rims would interfere with the suspension anyway, making it very hard to
follow any tight curve.

alex