 Publishing / 964
  Re: Lego at Gerf.Org

(...) Look. I think people are basically good and smart and all that. (1) But I think you're presuming a bit much about Joe Unwashed and his knowledge of the nuances of domain names. Joe Unwashed has about a 50% chance(2) of thinking lego.gerf.org (...) (25 years ago, 27-Sep-99, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Lego at Gerf.Org

(...) The problem is that this really is a new medium. The people who wrote the Fair Play statement don't seem to understand it completely, but what they do say actually is pretty reasonable. Although I've got issues with connecting DNS and (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Lego at Gerf.Org

Disclaimer on the following - I am not a lawyer... (...) Note that trademarks usually are limited to the market domain (both region covered by the market, and the product set) of the trademark. Thus, using LEGO in association with construction toys (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Lego at Gerf.Org

(...) Actually, I think that the goods/services class system is an extremely good reason for not allowing trademarks to have anything to do with domain (or host) names. Since there's no way from looking at a domain/host name to tell what content -- (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Lego at Gerf.Org

(...) As a consumer, I really appreciate that when I form a host name out of a company name, 9 times out of 10, I get that companies web site. Imagine if instead, 9 times out of 10 you got a competitor's site? What if lego.com pointed to a porno (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Lego at Gerf.Org

(...) I realize that it's convenient, but it's just not realistic. (See my earlier comments. Or e-mail me if you want to hear me rant more.) The DNS is NOT meant to be a directory service. For many reasons, it doesn't work well as one. As for the (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Lego at Gerf.Org

(...) To a certain extent, it doesn't really matter how it was meant to be used, but how it does get used. Lego sets aren't >meant< to be used by adults. Does that mean we should all stop using them? <grin> James (URL) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Lego at Gerf.Org

(...) Sure, but I hope that what _actually works well_ does matter. And DNS-as-directory doesn't. (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.publish)