 Publishing / 855
Re: New Mavica-competitor from Panasonic on the way
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 06:19:44 GMT

  Maybe I am all mixed up, but I thought Sony was trying to get away from
the bulkiness of floppy disks.  There latest Cyber-shot camera uses a memory
stick (which is currently available with up to 64MB and is a third the size
of a floppy).  Seems like all the good cameras are using memory cards
instead of disks.  Is that Panasonic's first digital camera?  Even Sony's
first digital had many drawbacks - I would stick with the tried and true
brands (like Kodak, Olympus, Agfa or Sony) before gambling on the new
contender from Panasonic.  On the up side, though, Tiger Direct sells those
Superdisk (internal) drives for about $60, not $200.
   As for waiting for a "super" camera - that might be a better idea - make
do with a discontinued (megapixel) Olympus or Kodak (for $200 or $300 with a
16MB memory card - you can get extra cards cheap, too) until the
advancements (and rapid depreciation of outdated models) slow down a little.
  HTH
--
   Have fun!
   John
Mike Stanley wrote in message ...
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-114754.html?tag=st.cn.1fd2.lthd.1006-2 • 00-114757

Wheeee!  Always wanted Sony to get off its butt and do this, but I'll
take one from Panasonic at $899.

Digital Camera (only 1.3 megapixels, but oh well) that uses the 120mb
SuperDisk (and also can use floppies evidently).

The only downside the article mentions is the cost of a SuperDisk
drive for your computer (about $200) but that seems like a non-issue
since the camera comes with a USB cable.  Why bother with a drive?

Now I'm going to have to do some serious thinking.  Go with this and
have ultra cheap 120mb disks to use, or keep waiting for a 2+
megapixel camera that comes with IBM's new Micro-drive?

The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/