 Publishing / 347
    Re: Lego Easter Eggs! —Steve Bliss
   (...) Hmm. Since you put it that way, Unix is serving people. But only some people, and not in the way I intended. Steve (26 years ago, 17-Feb-99, to lugnet.publish)

        Unix geeks —Todd Lehman
   Steve: (...) I think it's a matter of perspective... When someone who is a Unix geek is doing something the hard way, In my experience they're actually doing it the easy way -- it just looks cryptic if you don't speak the lingo. They're often also (...) (26 years ago, 17-Feb-99, to lugnet.publish)

        Re: Unix geeks —Jasper Janssen
   (...) Does uniq mess up the sorting? I don't see why you have to pipe it through sort twice otherwise. I mean, Yick. sort is a slow program anyway, so doing it twice where once would do :) Jasper (26 years ago, 18-Feb-99, to lugnet.publish)

        Re: Unix geeks —Larry Pieniazek
      (...) sort it once to get the word prefixes in order. uniq -c to get you a count of the prefix occurrences prepended to the prefix after removeing dups, sort it again to put the prefixes in order by number of occurences. If you really were the geek (...) (26 years ago, 18-Feb-99, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

         Re: Unix geeks —Jasper Janssen
     (...) I'd have known what uniq did, yes. I don't, my box doesn't have it, nor TAFM, and I don't want it. :) (...) A lazy one? Jasper (26 years ago, 19-Feb-99, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: Unix geeks —Alan Shutko
     (...) Well, I looked at it (at least, I looked at qsort... I haven't looked to see if I could speed the io of the sort command). GNU qsort is incredibly coded. It has a list of references, and during my lit searches, I couldn't find any they'd (...) (26 years ago, 18-Feb-99, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

         Re: Unix geeks —Larry Pieniazek
     I was talking about sort. GNU qsort rocks in a major way. (...) (26 years ago, 18-Feb-99, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: Unix geeks —Todd Lehman
   (...) uniq doesn't mess up sorting, no. uniq -c does, though -- in the sense that it adds an additional field at the front of the line (man uniq). Technically, in this case, the first sort isn't necessary because the words file is already sorted, (...) (26 years ago, 18-Feb-99, to lugnet.publish)