 Publishing / 2116
Re: Photographing Lego's? Go digital.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:58:11 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Matthew Miller writes:
M.A. Cook <marccook@mindspring.net> wrote:
If you're in the market to find a great camera to photograph your lego
creations I say go Digital.  Important to note, that to get great pictures
purchase a camera that has Marco Focus ability.  I recently photographed a
model and without Marco Focus I could NOT get great shots like these:

Macro. :) I'd agree -- this is an important feature. It's also good to get a
model that can take good shots in low light without the flash, because lego
and flash don't mix well.

If it's for online stuff, resolution isn't the most important factor,
although certainly don't go less than 1024x768. Even if your final output
will be less than that, it's nice to have some room to play.

to do this is digital.   Uploading images from the camera to your
PC takes minutes.  And from your PC to your web site even quicker.

I'd recommend getting a camera that uses compact flash, and a PCMCIA reader
for your desktop machine (~ $50). Then, uploading to your PC takes seconds.

Nice shots, btw.
Matthew Miller

Thank you Matthew!
Yes I used a 3 point light system. Basically a back light (a light angled to
luminate the model from the rear -- this seems useless but it really helps the
edges of a model stand out. Next the primary light (a direct light source
pointed at the model - generally the bightest light). Finally a fill light
source (basically at 45 to 90 degrees from the primary light).  This light will
fill in dark shadows -- or in some cases create them giving your model dept.

Digital cameras work great in low light --- a tripod is a MUST to avoid
the shot being blurry.

- Marc