 Publishing / 1716
Re: Load time on my website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 03:02:05 GMT

Questions:

1. Is the load time of the pages acceptable?  Load time was REALLY slow • when
I first posted the page.  This was due to using full size images of around
10-30kb for each item (although resized in the HTML to look smaller) with
numerous items per page.  While this made it really quick to click on an
image and get a larger one, since it infact had already been loaded, it • took
forever to get the full page.  I've now made thumbnails (about 2-3kb each)
for all of the CAD generated images, and this seems to have helped.

I have a high-bandwidth connection at home and at work.  However, the first
time I went to the site (at work), it did seem quite slow.  When I tried it
just now from home, it was much better.

2. Are the full size images too large?  Currently all of the CAD images • are
at 640x480.  Some of the pieces look quite large at this resolution. • Should
I be using 320x240?  The actual photo images are all different sizes, I • may
take new pictures to have them all uniform.

The full sized images are too large, but I'm not sure it hurts.  It really
doesn't do much good to see an image that size.  I can easily identify all
the parts by the thumbnails.

3. Is the site easy to navigate?  It seems pretty straight-forward and
intuitive to me, but then I know where everything is.  Is it easy to find
parts?

It is extremely easy to navigate.

4. Is the color schme OK?  I kinda like it.  :)  But then that is a biased
opinion!

The color scheme is fine.  Since its a sales sight, I'm not overly concerned
about the look.  Its very practical, yet appealling.  I wouldn't bother
trying to make it look artistic or anything (unless you really want to kill
some time)

5.  Inventory changes frequently.  I have my browser set to always check • for
newer pages, but this is not the default.  I fear some people may not be
getting the latest pages if they visit frequently.  I know there is a way • to
set a page so that it won't be stored in the cache, thus will always be • new.
I can't remember how to do this though, so if someone could refresh MY
memory, I would appreciate it.  More importantly, SHOULD I do this?  Will • it
aggrevate people to always have to get the page from the server, thus
increasing load time?

Sorry, I don't know how to do it.  It certainly wouldn't aggrevate me (with
my high-speed connection), but other people would probably avoid your site
because of it.  You should at least put up a message saying 'site updated on
date x.  It is recommended that you do a refresh to view the latest
inventory.

By the way, I would definitely be tempted to buy some of your parts except
for two factors:

- I already shot more than my spending budget on LEGO for about 2 more
months.
- I wouldn't really want to send cash and the other payment forms are a
hassle.  I'm not sure what I would recommend though.  Credit cards are
expensive to process and checks are risky.  What if you allowed checks, but
imposed a 10 day waiting period while they clear???

Good luck.  I hope to visit when I have some money.  Maybe you will have
more payment options by then!

P.S. I didn't see the black columns from Knight Lord's Castle.  Are you
keeping those.  I just got a another copy of this set and those were the
first parts to be integrated into my buildings (I used them on the annex to
my12 story police station).