 Publishing / 1697
Re: Can anyone give me some web site design advice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 03:50:47 GMT

Thanks for all the advice Chris.  I revamped my site with smaller pictures.
Its MUCH better.

Seriously though, why not come out of the dark ages and upgrade that 256
color video card?

Being a software developer, I just HATE it when we have to make splash
screens and other pretty graphics work with those pesky 256 color palettes.
We always have to dumb down the graphics (sort of like town jr.).

Anyhow, thanks again.

See the results at:

http://members.home.net/bhamilto1/lego.htm

Christopher Masi <cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote in message
   It would be really nice if browsers could scale images down to fit a • the
screens resolution; afterall, many picture viewing utilities do that
automatically. Please do not make the pictures too small. I just want them • to
fill MY screen. To heck with the people stuck at 640x480 (sarcasm). I set • the
external display to 1024x768 (256 colors yuck) and still you images didn't • fit.
I would say that means most peaple cannot get the full impact of the • picture.
IMHO scrolling takes more away from the image than a slight reduction in
resolution. Mind you I a chemistry professor, not a graphic designer.
   As for downloading speed, from home I connect with a 56.6 modem, so • typical
speeds are about 4.4 kB/sec. A 15 sec download, 70?80 kB, is good, a 30 • second
download, 140?160 kB, is bearable. I just checked some of the pictures on • your
page, and the 130 kB images come through quickly enough. The thing that • makes
me tune out the fastest is when a page is loaded with a bunch of 80 or 160 • kB
pictures and I have to wait for ever just to see something. Thumbnails are • far
better. Technically, it takes longer to load a page of thumbnails and then • go
from image to image, but it doesn't feel like it takes as long because I • am
doing something not just waiting for a monster page to load.
  By the way, when I saw the overview picture of your town it had a border
around it, so I thought, "COOL, image map." My pointer did not turn into a • hand
so I quickly realized it wasn't one. I have no idea how to do an image • map, but
that would be the coolest way to let people poke around your town!
  I'll keep flipping through your cities, I must say that I am enjoying • the
overviews.

Thanks,
Chris

Brad Hamilton wrote:

I had actually been thinking that myself.

Actually, I run my screen at 1200x1000 but my typical web window ends up
being about 1024x700.

I have thought about how the large pictures are a little "too" big.  I • would
prefer to post smaller ones and have some "optional' links to big ones.
They default scan of a 4x6 ends up being the size you see.  I need to • scale
it down a bit.  Perhaps this would make them clearer as well.

Another annoying problem with models as big as mine is that any sort of
overall shot blurs all the details.  If you use close-in shots though • you
miss the "busy" feel.  Perhaps a lot of small pictures (like you • recommend)
with a few large ones would be better.

I plan to do another LEGO city 2 photo shoot in a few weeks (with a • better
camera).  I'll try scanning a different mix of sizes as well.

P.S.  I have a high bandwidth connection so it's hard for me to see how • slow
it comes in over a modem.  Are you running a slower link?  If so, is it
excessively slow?

Christopher Masi <cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote in message
Just started looking at your site, and I like what I have seen so far. • I
take
it you built your site at 1024x whatever resolution? You are not the • only
one
who posts big beautiful pictures, but it does make it difficult for • those
of us
at 800x600 (actually I am at 832x624) to see the whole image. I think • there are
still alot of people who use 800x600.  To get around this if I like a • site
enough I download the pictures and open them with a utility that • scales
the
pictures to fit in my screen.

Just a thought,
Chris

Brad Hamilton wrote:

(I orignally posted part of this on Lugnet.general, but was directed • here)

Although I'm a programmer by trade, I actually blew off the whole • web
site
thing until I really got the urge to share my LEGO creations.

With a little learning, I've managed to put together my site
(http://members.home.net/bhamilto1/).

However, I still feel like I have a lot to learn.

- Do people actually read text and descriptions, or do you go right • for
the
pictures?  I tend to be a picture person myself, but do get a lot of
enjoyment when I occasionally read other peoples descriptions.
- Do people like to see the pictures organized by subject matter or • just
raw image directory?
- Do guest books make any sense?  I put one in a few weeks ago and • about
150
people have visited.  Only one person left anything in the guest • book.

Does anyone have opinions/advice on these issues.  Any comments or
suggestions on the layout of my site?

thanks