 Publishing / 1004
Re: Why are SSIs bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 22:00:49 GMT

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk> wrote:
I am not quite sure what security problems there are with
SSI.

If you're the site admin, there's not a security problem. The security issue
is with letting your _users_ use SSI, because those commands execute as the
user which owns the web server. Which, if you don't trust your users, is a
bad thing.

My main reason for (mostly) not using SSI on published web
pages is that I suspect that it means that the pages won't
be stored by proxies. Is it possible to make server-side
processed pages appear as static pages when they are served?

Yes, you can configure your web server this way.