 Off-Topic / Geek / 545
Re: Why are SSIs bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 17:53:11 GMT

Sproaticus:

I use SSI (server-side includes) a *LOT* on my Web pages.  They're extremly
powerful and versatile.  I'm almost a firm believer.

But I recall some folks warning about potential security holes and other
problems with SSI.  Rooting around the Web today, I haven't been able to
find these people.  Does anyone know why SSIs are bad?  Is there something I
should know about that isn't in the Apache docs?

I am not quite sure what security problems there are with
SSI.

My main reason for (mostly) not using SSI on published web
pages is that I suspect that it means that the pages won't
be stored by proxies. Is it possible to make server-side
processed pages appear as static pages when they are served?

Play well,

Jacob

      --  E-mail:        sparre@cats.nbi.dk         --
      --  Web...:  <URL:http://www.ldraw.org/FAQ/>  --