 Publishing / 1011
Re: Why are SSIs bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:37:03 GMT

Matthew:

Check in your httpd.conf for this:

# CacheNegotiatedDocs: By default, Apache sends Pragma: no-cache with each
# document that was negotiated on the basis of content. This asks proxy
# servers not to cache the document. Uncommenting the following line
# disables this behavior, and proxies will be allowed to cache the
# documents.

#CacheNegotiatedDocs

Hmm?

This sounds more like it is related to content negotiation,
which among other things is used to deliver documents in a
language the reader understands.

Does it mean that proxy servers don't know about content
negotiation?

Which I think should do it. It may also be a good idea, if performance isn't
a gigantic concern, to make Apache check all .html files for SSI instead of
just .shtml (if you're doing SSI on all your pages, that won't make a speed
difference anyway) because it's possible (although stupid if true) that some
browsers/proxies make their caching decisions based on file extension.

If proxy servers don't know about content negotiation, then
I can just as well use SSI whereever it is of use, but as it
is now, I don't use it much.

Generally I use links without a file extension, so I don't
know how proxies making caching decisions based on file
extension will behave. Well...

Checking out the documentation, it is more likely that
"mod_expires"[1] is the solution, if you want proxies to
cache server side processed pages.

Play well,

Jacob

1) <URL:http://www.apache.org/docs-1.2/mod/mod_expires.html>