 Publishing / 1003
Re: Why are SSIs bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 18:02:46 GMT

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
My main reason for (mostly) not using SSI on published web
pages is that I suspect that it means that the pages won't
be stored by proxies. Is it possible to make server-side
processed pages appear as static pages when they are served?

My ISP (io.com) serves .shtml so they expire quickly (I believe but haven't
tested), but .html files with the executable file attribute (using XBitHack)
are served as if they were static, even with SSI code.

I use the XBitHack approach.  It's played havoc with my Tengwar page
counters and random link generator, as the html ends up being interpreted as
static and so cached by the browser.

Cheers,
- jsproat

"I've spent the past few years building up an immunity to bullets."
- Angus McGuire