 Pirates / 4009
Re: t3h n00b Asks Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 04:21:53 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Kevin Heckel wrote:
   Hi Andrew,

Glad you liked my unnamed village! Check out the original post... Whew! Dusty. Um.

As for airships, you should try seeing what damage you can do with these boat bow bricks. I dunno if you dug around in my brickshelf folder, but I used them in my merchant airship here:

Yes, I “dug around” and I liked it a lot! I like your flying island most of all your things, but the clipper comes in a close second. I like this guy, too. Maybe you might consider doing a version 2 of the island? Y’know, I’m mostly a scifi kind of guy, but every once in a while, I like to throw in pirates and castle and stuff, and this is a neat way to combine them.

   If you just gotta have the hulls, there’s always bricklink.com, but then you’d wanna round up all the pirate-specific parts, like mast bits and rigging bits, and the wheel, and maybe an anchor, and maybe you should just start out with one of the Jack Stone pirate sets that are supposed to be out sometime this summer...

Yeah, I’d heard about those, but haven’t seen any pics (just got back from a self-imposed Dark Age). And I want that Adventurers steamboat for the grey rowboat. Looks like a great base for a flying skiff or something (not to mention all the possible space uses). Otherwise, I’m just lacking for sails. I’m not willing to buy those when I could find a template someplace. But then the problem is actually finding the template. Anyone know where I could find a good one?

   Most of my inspiration for these two

snip

   came from a video game called Skies of Arcadia. It’s got hot winged pirate ship action. But don’t let those steer you away from the Final Fantasy style airships!

I’ve seen snippets of Arcadia while searching the web for further inspiration. I think I like that style better than FF. It just looks more fantasy than convoluted scifi (like FF does).

   In any case, good luck building and show us what you come up with!

Kevin

Sure thing! Now, to get a card table set up in my bedroom...

--Andrew

P.S. -- Don’t put a teleporter in v.2 of the island! It’s a little too much scifi to fit in with the rest of the island, IMHO. Otherwise, great model! I especially love how you squeezed all those pretty buildings into a tight space.