 Pirates / 3996
Re: Noobie Asks Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 05:29:19 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
   Hi guys

Wait... someone posted in .pirates? (Checks temperature of hell)

   I was inspired by this flying island: http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=25111 ...to make one of my own. I haven’t built it yet due to space constraints, but I do have a few ideas floating around. ;-)

That’s cool, I hadn’t seen that before

   Then I got to thinking I might want to try an airship to go along with it. I don’t have any of the prefab ship hulls--for that matter, I don’t have any ship sets--so I was wondering where I could get a few for cheap. Or, in your experience, where’s the best place to get them? Or maybe I should look to get a complete set? I mean, having never purchased, let alone build, a boat/ship before, I may just want to do this to get all the right bits?

I doubt you’d be able to get pirates sets from Lego in these dark times. If you’re just after a few pieces you could try bricklink, then of course there is ebay, etc etc.

Or you could wait for the Jack Stone pirate ship hull. But then we’d have to kill you ;)

   And while I’m on this train of thought (I hope you piratical dudes don’t get especially cross with me), what are a few pointers for a beginning boat builder? I’ve been looking at some of the featured ships in the sidebar for ideas, but I’m sure there are secrets hidden in those hulls! Thanks much for any and all replies!

Well others could tell you all about different ships, rigging etc but I’ll have none of that. The only things I can suggest are:
  • Make it curvy. In case of 15th century, make it verrry curvy
  • Make the colours run in lines from bow to stern
  • Check out pics of real ships, so you can see the general mast placement and stuff, eg for a 3-masted ship, the back two (terminology? :P) are much closer together
  • You might have to sacrifice playability and strength for looks (I often do)
And if all else fails, check out the Lego instructions for the 6285 or 6286 on Brickshelf to get a few ideas.

Michael