 Pirates / 3852
Re: ESPG Rule Mod?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2004 16:03:30 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Wesley Davis wrote:
We could consider giving some players a merchant ship plus an Imperial
cutter as an escort craft. This would get the merchants in the game. The
escort craft wouldn't be tradable; the merchants ship would earn money by
travelling between the major ports without getting robbed. Since it would be
undergunned and undermanned, it would still be balanced, IMO, to have that
player control it and a cutter, since the cutter's crew and cannon are
basically what the merchant would be missing, anyway.

I'd think it would actually skew things in favor of the merchants.  Not only
would they be controlling the same number of guns, but they'd have more carrying
capacity where the escort's cannon would have been, and they'd have the
advantage of having two ships and crews to strategize with and soak damage.
Finally, if merchants are always guaranteed a generic escort, one of their ships
is disposable, since they'll always get a new escort after they've sacrificed
the previous one to allow their main ship to escape.  I think the idea is to
make merchant ships a more viable option for NPC control so all of the Pirate
players can prey on them, rather than to make merchants a desirable PC option.

2) I have a large number of Imperials. Some players will probably play them
and try to hunt the pirates down/play escort/go on patrol/go explore
islands/treasure hunt.

Now that's something that has some possibilities.  You could designate them as
Privateers (gov't-sponsored pirates) and just use their uniforms/flags to denote
which government they work for (and therefore which navy/privateers they're safe
from...but can't attack).  You could also pay them bounties (adjusted for game
balance, of course) to go hunt pirates if they're regular navy.

3) I don't have enough weapons for my pirates. Pirates won't come with them,
and I'll make some basic fistfight rules (KO on a 6?).

You bought all that gold and you didn't pick up weapons?  Heh.

I just bought more than half the gold coins on Bricklink. If not gold or
gems in the chests, I would use the little paper tickets, rolled or folded
up, inside the chest and barrels. The 1x3 idea is interesting, but I think
it'd be simpler and give more variety to just print stuff out.

It depends on what you're trying to do.  Many people are interested in ways to
make brick-based games more "LEGO pure", so unless you're printing those tickets
on official LEGO graph paper, it would be a step back.  It's a neat idea for
people who aren't as insistant on LP play, especially for large games where you
might have to worry about running out of treasure and/or having treasure walk
off on you.